Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help Medquist New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Health Issues

Serving Over 20,000 US Medical Transcriptionists

My license is valid again. Yay! I called the

Posted By: Just me on 2005-08-10
In Reply to:

numbers on the suspended license notice this morning and was told to go to the courthouse, which I did. I told them I was contesting the ticket because it was not me who got it but I know who did get it. I explained what my sister did and the lady told me to go to DMV and file identity fraud charges where I fill out a form saying someone is using my name and give their name if I know who. That's done! She also cleared my name in the computer and gave me a copy of the ticket which says issued in error. The ticket was issued at 3 in the morning so she's lucky she didn't get a DUI on my name. The ticket shows her car and her license plate number. Gee, wonder how that happened? I now have a court hearing middle of September where I explain my case and the officer who wrote the ticket will be there. You can bet I'll be bringing life size photos of her to show that it wasn't me. Now I can breathe again, at least until September.

Complete Discussion Below: marks the location of current message within thread

The messages you are viewing are archived/old.
To view latest messages and participate in discussions, select the boards given in left menu

Other related messages found in our database

The so-called "reality show" is the lowest form of so-called entertainment in recent years
I hate them. They've ruined TV.
unfortunately, you have a very valid point sm
and unfortunately, there is nothing we are going to be able to do about it. Of course, we can choose to shop at American owned stores-I do-we can choose to speak to Americans only-never tried asking for an American, but in the end, this is all a futile effort on our part! It's the wave of the future, and the bottom line is all that matters to corporate America! That's why we have to bring up our children with good values, excellent work ethic, and high moral standards, so that when they get out into the "real" world, they can out perform the, um, what do I call them, foreigners!
Is this a valid thing? sm
All of a sudden one day this box appears at the bottom of my computer stating....Repair Registry Pro has found 466 errors, click here for more information...I clicked it and it wanted to charge me a lot of money for this...I think maybe it is something not like a virus but not anything good either.  I clicked on Microsoft website to see if I could find anything about this, and while there ran some tools to see if I had any errors which it did not report any.  Has anyone ever came across this and is it legitamite (sp?)?
Another very valid reason
First let me say, I am so sorry for what you have been through.  I hope and pray you find your child.  This is just one of multiple reasons credit reports should be personal.  The next thing you know, they will want sexual histories before hiring someone.  It is just PERSONAL and PRIVATE and should be respected as that.  I wonder how many companies that do credit reports for potential employees would like to have credit reports pulled on their business practices.  Really, again, it is private and very personal.  I believe every one has good intentions until proven otherwise. 
Your concerns are valid, unfortunately : (

EMR and voice recognition has put me out of a job.  On my former job, there was one other Transcriptionist besides me.  Because she had been there longer, she got what was left over after most of the docs jumped on the voice recognition bandwagon.  They use Dragon Naturally Speaking.  I have seen it at work myself and it is quite accurate.  There is no editing being done on their work.  Now, I'm doing a job that is just that, a JOB.  I enjoy transcribing and am looking for another job, but MT jobs seem to be few and far between where I am.  I can't get high speed internet where I live, so most services are out.  I may move onto a different career if something doesn't come around soon.  I thought about legal transcription.  Anyone have experience with that?


valid point
This is a valid point and I am not happy with the cut in pay either. On the other hand, I do love what I am doing and accept that it will take some time for me to reach my full earning potential, although I am not too sure it will come to the 41,000 I made in the past. The point I am making is that although it is a cut in pay, I am still paying the same household bills I was contributing to with my other employment, although it is not as easy and I have never been the type of wife to rely on her husband for pocket money---I have always had my own and this has not changed.
It's a really valid question.

I've seen a lot of posts on this board from MTs who said their accounts went to EMR and they were out of a job.  I haven't experienced that, though.  I worked in house for an oncology practice that had a software program that was designed for EMR but everyone still dictated.  The account I'm on now has EMR and they'll put things in the dictation for the meds, and review of systems that say "detailed review of systems in electronic medical record" or that the meds have been updated and a full list is in the EMR. Other times they dictate the med list and dictate a review of systems.

Personally, I don't think it's ever going to completely get rid of us.   There are still too many variables in some reports.   We may end up not typing things like cataract reports, or some surgical procedures which are pretty routine, but things like H&Ps, consults, discharges, and office/progress notes are still going to need something more than point and click.

That's my experience, anyway.

Definitely not...how do you know if it's a valid complaint?...(SM)
This happens very often with abuse claims. A case is started, the claim is false, someone's reputation is wrecked, and it costs them a fortune in legal fees to restore it. If you are worried she is not getting help or advice, the only discrete way to find out is fake a spontaneous meeting and get into conversation with him/her and go from there. You could never let it be known that you read her/his records...records that she thinks are confidential. (Boy, are a lot of people in for a shock.)
There would never be a valid reason to go to her clients - ever. sm

Remember - those clients are her bread and butter. HER business is to protect HER BUSINESS. Late TAT one time would not be enough reason to stop using your services. Late TAT enough times that SHE is getting uncomfortable with the client is ample reason.

You have no business relationship with the clients. Your business relationship was with the MTSO.

Tried to e-mail and said addy was not valid.
Most likely you would need a USB pedal or an adapter to convert any other type of foot pedal.  There are numerous options available as far as internet - cell phone, dial-up, WiFi, satellite, air cards.  It depends on how you will be traveling and where you will be staying.  You need to have a primary plan and a backup. 
You make some valid points; HOWEVER,
telling an MT to use the BOS is not really helpful. Many of us transcribe "verbatim" accounts where we are told to reference the BOS. Scuze me, what's the line between verbatim and the BOS? And if the BOS says one thing but the client specifics say another thing, then what? Pretty much NOTHING in this business is standardized. Not pay, not line count methods, verbatuum vs nonverbatim...

As far as looking things up, I will look for a name or address (if I'm given enough information to do so) for 2 minutes. I'll relisten to a potential blank 3 times on its own and then in a final run-through of the entire report to see if I can get it by context. But this is a PRODUCTION job and I do not get paid to spend all that time looking things up.

And there are a lot of words that really are not words that doctors use. What do we do with those?

I've been doing this 12 years and still occasionally run across things that are wrong that I was told to "do it this way" by one client or another along the way and the "wrong" way just stuck. I'm always happy to have those pointed out so that I can correct any old bad habits...

But here's another thing. If we, as so many of us are, are required to work on 3-5 accounts to get the equivalent of full-time work, and those 3-5 account all have different specs, then it should be expected that screwups are going to happen.

Again proving my point that NOTHING is standardized and the BOS is, at its best, a fundraising tool for the former AAMT and, at its least, a very general sort of guideline.
Know is old post - but valid concerns

I don't kow what they could do to help you RE: Katrina but companies need to verify the NEED to cut back or do it across the board, at least in the department / job level. I worked for this company for 6 yr & had several cuts in my take home. The platforms used became slower & slower because of the amazing amt of data in the programs. I had 3 gig memory & STILL took forever & you aren't making a dime for that several minute while a report is sending & the next coming in & then doing the demographic page.

I've been trying to find out if there was anything of that investigation - I never did get that paper that so many other employees got. And I had a definite beef.

you raise such a valid point...
"If money is your goal"...

I too thought about the nursing program... It's really the only other thing I could see myself doing long-term... but I don't want to give up MT because of all the freedom I have. Granted, I get no benefits, it's hard to scrape by sometimes, but I basically get to do whatever I want as long as I meet my TAT...

Money, however, is my goal for the things I want to continue doing. Plus all the money I'd go in debt for for schooling... will it ever equal out. I just feel like I'm too old to start a career, by the time i want school over with i would hope im married with a baby. HAHA

Oh I Hate being indecisive!!!
this was maybe 20 years ago valid, but not nowadays
with such a low line rate and VR, when transcribing's speed has to be tripled to get the same pay.

Newbies can still learn and profit from the answers given on the word help board.

CHANGE is inevitable in every field.
FYI - Internet petitions are not valid in most
Plenty of room here! Your thoughts are as valid as all the others.
Her points are valid, true, and very appropriate to discuss here.
The only thing I would add to that is that in addition to discussing this age-old medical "dirty secret" here, it should also be discussed with anyone and everyone, until the issue can be brought to the forefront in the medical industry. A lot of terrible medical mistakes are being averted because of skilled MTs catching them.
We are an important line of defense in the medicolegal risks every doctor & medical institution faces every day. Yet because very few people know this profession even exists, we're continually being kept in the medical industry's darkest closet, and many of them get their hides saved from financial ruin every day -- literally at our expense.
Bitter? I think the recruiter/owner had some valid points. nm
I shouldn't have said insurance, that is always the misleading on my part and I'm trying to work on that. If it's not insurance, then why would I need to be licensed? And again, as far as the providers, check the website to see if there are any providers next to you. I always check before I sign up a new member to make sure they will be able to use the benefits.

Have been doing this for 15+ years and when I first called the City of Portland, they said no, but they have since changed their lawa and now I need one.   Pay a percentage of what I make per year on the net.  But each city could be different but if you want all the advantages of being a business with write-off's etc. you gotta pay.  I have absolutely no traffice to my house,. my subs work in their own home but still need a City of Portland busoiness license.   Sorry if I made typo's as I am typing without my reading glasses -- kind of like being blind.  


PS check with your state about registering your name of business also.


Getting an IC license?
How do you go about getting your IC license?  I'm in Montana.  Thanks!
I don't know, I don't need a license where I live at all. I checked with an accountant who deals with MTs and I just get listed as a sole proprieter and that's it. If I hire subs I just file 1099s but I don't need any kind of incorporation or license or anything. You should check with someone locally. Sometimes the library has help for small business people but you'll probably save yourself some frustration by asking around to find someone who knows something about MT.
IC license
In my state, you have to have an independent contractor's license, which you obtain through your state's Dept. of Labor & Industry (or whatever it is called in your state). The doctors' offices I have contracted through also wanted me to show that I have liability insurance. If you work for an MTSO, I don't know that they would require the liability insurance and you should probably ask them.
Business license...sm

You'll probably need an Occupational License if you'll be filing as self employed on your 1040.  Check with your local state or city tax department.  I live in Florida and I'm required to have an OL from both my county and my city and both must be renewed yearly.

My dog has a driver's license. sm
He loves to chase cars, but the high gas prices have forced him to get a job so he can continue.
Business license
My attorney says it does not make a difference if you are working out of your own home or not. If you have an income-generating business, you need a business license. The best thing to do is to call your local Department of Business Registration in your own city and ask.
I live in VA too and have to have a license
Not sure why the person above says she doesn't have to have one. I checked with my local office for the Commissioner of Revenue and they stated that I DO need one if I am working out of my home. Both of the local companies that I work for insisted that I have a business license also before they would send me any work. Just make sure you check with the appropriate people so you don't get into trouble later down the line. My license is only $40 a year, so it's not bad at all.
Business License
As you see, there is a lot of controversy with this business license issue. Do I or don't I? Many factors are involved. I live in Ohio and I also have many friends who have their own businesses and they advertise in the yellow pages. One friend has had a chimney sweep business and still does for the last 15+ years. He was not required to obtain a business license... his social security number is his license number used for reporting all income to the IRS. He also occasionally has a few friends who help him with chimney inserts and he pays them by check with his business name printed on those checks. He simply reports and pays all taxes, even city taxes due to the fact he works for many residents throughout several cities in this state. He deducts just about everything and anything you could possibly think of also. I would think after doing this for 15+ years, he would have been in trouble if it were not legal, especially since he is a fire fighter still working for the city he lives in. In working for MQ, you can also deduct any office supplies you purchase in order to do your job, i.e., even when they used to charge rental fees for you to use their computers when you or if you were statuatory or PT. Moving forward, I also know a friend of my family who is close to 65 years old, also living in this state, and he has been an IC for over 30 years. He is a journalist for a few outdoor magazines, charges his fees, advertises, and also works for a major company here as an IC.......all without a business license. Again, just a formality of making sure you report any and all income. After 30 years, he would have had an audit by now. I agree with everyone that it depends on what state you live in and/or city. Good luck and I hope you find the answers you are looking for.
Unfortunately, the license is required sm
I have never had to have one, but the clinic I am going to work for requires it. It is a lot of hassle, and I can't wait until it's over and done with :)
Problem with PDM License key ??
I have been offered to work for a transcription company from a friend (she knows the boss) and have already installed Gear Player on my computer.  The boss sent me a Philips Digital Pocket Memo disc to help me hear the sound and during installation it asks me for the "License Key."  I don't have it or the book or anything with a number in it.  I called this boss and she said the book was lost and for me to contact the Philips company.  I did via email and I left a voicemail and hope they call me tomorrow (Monday, 10/2).  Shouldn't she have handled this since she bought it?  grrrr   I'll see how far I get with the Philips people and if I can't then I'll ask her to please call.  I'm near to Gear Player but if I can't install this disc and do some work (I need the $$ badly!) I'll have to look on the job board for any that require this.  Signed_ Frustrated but Ready MT of 23 years experience!
Business license

You need to check with your city and state to see what you need.  Portland, OR tried to crack down on some IC's especially if you declare yoursef as a small business.  16 years ago they said no, now they say yes.  I just did it this year to be safe and legal.  I also registered the name of my company with the state.   Good luck. 



What is a gearplayer license?
How is this obtained? 
business license in GA
I live in GA and I have been told by my city hall that I have to purchase a business license, (which I've been doing for a few years now).  Now they want to tax all my office equipment on a yearly basis as well as want me to pay for the yearly business license.  I tried explaining to them that I do not run a business from home, that I just work for someone (as an IC).  They told me it does not matter.  Okay, I can see having to purchase a business license (whatever), to be compliant with the law, but the fact that they now want to tax my equipment every year; that's going over the line, in my opinion. 
License transfers

When you buy software you buy the license to use it. You can use Instant Text  on more than one computer if you are the only user.

You can transfer your Instant Text license to another person (sell the software) by notifying Textware Solutions - once you sold IT - that you are no longer using the software and that you transfer your software license (which includes tech support) to the new user providing name and email of the new user.

The new user should make sure she/he gets the media, the book, and the registration number which is necessary to receive tech support and Upgrade prices on later versions.

Version 1.11 came out in 1996. Nobody is using Windows 3.5 anymore. Why would you buy an obsolete version?

As for Version III Pro, you also will be buying a software that is 10 years old. I know, many Instant Text users are still very happy with it, but they have received the tech support when they needed it, and don't mind that it is not available anymore.

When you look for an expander, consider the quality/price and compatibility equation. You may have to pay more, but you get advanced technology, and compatibility won't be an issue.

I hope this information helps.

Textware Solutions

Anyone required to have bus. license...sm
to work as IC?  Was going to work for company, but require I have a business name and license.  Also pay per page and not per line.  Never ran across this before.
IC need business license?
No one responded to previous post.  Maybe I worded it wrong.  Company wants me to get a business license to work for them.  Has anyone had to do this or required to have this?
Yes, must have business license

This can be obtained at City Hall for a minimal fee, and then renewed each year according to either city fee or based on gross earnings. Different states and cities have different rules. For example, I am not allowed any foot or car traffic and cannot even post my business name outside on the mailbox. I also had to get my landlord's authorization.

Yes, I require this from transcriptionists. It shows me they are working at a professional level and not just someone setting up shop in their living room, and then recklessly turn in low-quality work, or worse yet pad their invoices repeatedly. It is also required by law. You have to claim your income to the IRS.

If you use your name as your business, then you do not have to file a DBA, but you need a separate bank account for work. I would still file my name if used. Hope this helps.

You would only need a business license if
Your particular city/town/village required one for you to work from home, but then again, why would your town need to know? You wouldn't be bringing clients home most likely, haha!

You can be a sole proprietor or you can incorporate. Either way works for the IRS. All the IRS cares about is that you pay social security/Medicare taxes (15.3%) and income taxes on the profit. You will have to file Schedule SE to pay the social security taxes and Schedule C to deduct the expenses. Your taxable income from the business would be the bottom line on the Schedule C (gross receipts minus expenses).

It's really not that difficult - if you can read the IRS 1040 long form instruction booklet, you can file your own taxes. If you can't, there's a whole industry of accountants just waiting to help you out....

Good luck!
It's time we all called NJ. I called

They can't provide anything in writing.

Nobody knows anything - keep telling you to call your supervisor.

I smell something worse than New Orleans coming from NJ.

Just became IC myself. Do I need a small business license?
Hi JB - where I live no occupational license..sm

is warranted...I have absolutely no traffic to my house and I merely work off of computers - I live in Florida so no occupational license is needed for MT work at home.

You will file for the IRS after a year 1099's which you will have to pay taxes on - approximately 30% of what you earn will have to be paid to the IRS.

No question is a dumb question, the only dumb question is the one that isn't asked. 

Best of luck.  I pounded the pavement 10 years ago and still have a bunch of private MDs along with working weekends for a national.

They DON'T need you driver's license number.
Do not give anyone that number ever. Be smart with your private information. Never put your driver's license or SS# somewhere just because they have a line for it and that includes the doctor's office.
Don't need a license if working out of own home...sm

As an IC, you just set your own method of charging/payment, get your work, and go.  Major concern is taxes.  Just be sure you pay taxes on your income.  Personally, I have an accountant and pay quarterly because it's just less worry for me to try to handle my own taxes.  Obviously, that's it in a nutshell, but just need to get some work and get started.

Ditto - I don't need a license in VA but my husband had to get one - sm
for his lawn cutting business. County did this through our state tax returns (sch. C's). It was $33. When we got the renewal for 2006 we were supposed to submit a list of assets, etc. in order to pay personal property taxes on all the "business" equipment (we have personal property taxes in VA, cars, boats, etc)....luckily he had dissolved the business in 05/2005 and we did not have to do this, they put him down as being "inactive" and we did not have to renew or pay more taxes. That would have been a real drag it I had had to do it. Hopefully it will not change.
Anyone ride motorcycle, have your license, etc.

I've decided to get my motorcycle license, already passed my permit test and am starting to learn to ride.  I don't know yet if I'm going to learn on a 350 or a 650, but am starting to get excited.  My state offers a weekend course where you go both days for instruction and training and give your license all in one weekend.  My dad loved motorcycles, my sons both have motorcycles, and now it's my turn.  So, satisfy my curiosity, anyone else have this interest?

I had a 400 cc Yamaha years ago - never got my license though - sm
took a motorcycle safety course with test 2 x but could not pass the "reaction" part of the test (did not react fast enough), so I just rode with a learner's permit each Spring/Summer for a couple years before I sold it. Lots of fun though. Would love to get another one day, a 250 would be nice, the 400 was too heavy for me to lift though I could ride it just fine.
You can get a year license from Shorthand

For just 25 bucks.  You can renew every year, or decide you would rather pay the X dollars for a license that will not expire.  The 25 a year is best (in my mind) because anymore with license that does not expire can only be used on a single computer and its a hassle, if you have a laptop that you use also - to remove it from one and add to another - and SH has cracked down and gets the computer keys when you purchase the one that does not expire.

With the one for a year, you can put it on your tower, your laptop and then just renew every year, or not. 

I can also help to show you (if you like or need) to turn your autocorrects into ShortHand files. 


Good luck!

Buying a software license

If you buy a "used" copy of Instant Text, what you are buying is a user license that the seller transfers to you and which means that the seller installs it from her/his computer.
Make sure the seller provides you with the original CD, the manual, and the serial number of the licens.
To be in compliance with the license agreement, the seller of a "used" copy must notify the software publisher about the license transfer so you, the new user, can get tech support.
This may be useful to know whatever you decide to do.

Textware Solutions

Buying a software license

I meant to say "which means that the seller uninstalls..."

Textware Solutions

Here's what my friend said about a business license:

There are a lot of companies out there that are really just one person who went to their local hospital, got a contract, and are recruiting you and others to work for them.  They have to have a business license because they have employees that get paid by them.  If you are just working for yourself and not hiring anyone to work for you to help you then this is not a concern and you do not need a license.

Most ICs are technically employed by the company even though they are not getting any kind of benefit but work.  There are many people that choose to get a business license because it allows more of their equipment to be written off for tax deduction - however you have to dedicate the space and equipment to just business - nothing personal on the equipment.  I had a friend who tried this with her Mary Kay, she slept on the couch and kept all her clothes in a storage unit she had to visit every morning.  After her taxes and she didn't even get enough of a deduction to reimburse her for the storage locker she gave up and stopped trying to get this deduction.  Without a business license you can still deduct but the percentage is less; compared with the cost of a business license ($50 in my county) it may or may not be worth the expense.

My friend says to setup or download the template for your end of year taxes in excel or get turbo tax (business write-off) and USE IT for every single paycheck you get.  At the end of the year you will probably have to pay money, but turbo tax can estimate that amount and help you set it aside in a savings account so when the tax man cometh you are ready.  This way you also get to accrue interest on your money instead of letting the government "borrow" it for a year interest free by paying taxes on every paycheck.

The only time you need a business license is when you have more than one person working for you - and that one person has to be yourself first.  The business license just allows the government to track your earnings and wages so that they ensure that your employees are paying their taxes and you are paying yours as you should. 

Working as an IC you need to keep careful records, hold on to every paystub and tax return for 7 years (that is the longest the IRS has to audit you, I have shoeboxes they are all stuffed in and taped up, with the year listed, in the back of the closet) in case the man comes calling.  Be aware that your first year you are a prime candidate for audit, so spend the money and have your taxes done by a professional - make sure they are certified - and make sure they have an audit guarantee that they will back up the numbers.  They won't back you up if you lie, but they will back up their work and their math which is usually the thing that is caught as wrong on your returns.  Otherwise you just file your taxes as self-employed and all income you received gets reported like with a business.  The reason you need to make sure your information is accurate is because the employer will report that you received $X amount from them for work completed - the IRS will match these up if you get audited. 

Don't be too scared about it though, my friend works for herself now and she loves it; when I started doing IC she gave me lots of advice for taxes and I haven't regretted it yet.  Accountants will be glad to sit and talk with you, briefly, about any tax questions you might have so don't hesitate to ask the professionals, that is what they are there for!  I'd just wait until May - when the mad tax rush is over :)