Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help Medquist New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Health Issues

Serving Over 20,000 US Medical Transcriptionists

Might need to mail her a letter from a lawyer that requires a signature and take some action. nm

Posted By: wanderer on 2005-08-01
In Reply to: Warning about MTSO in Scottsdale, AZ sm - MT


Complete Discussion Below: marks the location of current message within thread

The messages you are viewing are archived/old.
To view latest messages and participate in discussions, select the boards given in left menu

Other related messages found in our database

You don't have to hire a lawyer. Write the letter yourself, but
make sure you send it "return receipt requested" and give a specific date payment needs to be received by.
Yes a SCAM, huge email fraud..they would notify you CERTIFIED MAIL or lawyer would call
   I get 2-5 of them a day...ALL FOREIGN using yahoo or hotmail.
letter in mail
I got a letter in the mail from MQ headquarters today
Start with a Certified Mail letter.
Make sure you send your letter Certified Mail, Return Receipt Requested. They will have to sign saying that they received the letter. You should detail the exactly amount you are owed, a date you expect payment by and what your next step will be should they not pay you by that date. Typically, your next step would be Small Claims Court, usually administered by a local District Justice/Justice of the Peace. Be sure that you state in your letter that they would be responsible for any costs incurred should you need to go to the DJ/JP.
Just got a letter in the mail from MQ stating that they will be paying 80% of our base rate for ASR.
So this is the start of the new pay plan the rest of which isnt out yet. We will lose 20% of our line rate for ASR starting October 1.
If it's a business letter you use a colon. if it's a personal letter you use a comma. nm


E-signature help. sm
Is this service available for IC MTs? I would like to get it, but have no knowledge of how to get it. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks!
check signature
It's going to be very tough to fight. The drivers licence would have to have been shown, so did you let somebody use it? Have your signature verified as well.

Most likely you will have to pay it and it can be expensive depending on where you are. My daughter-in-law got a ticket in Oregon for 500.00 for lack of proof of insurance. She had to pay the 500.00, plus another 400.00 to the state, PLUS she has to carry insurance in Oregon, even though she doesn't live there, for three years.
Electronic Signature/sm
I just add this phrase to the doctor signature line in the reports "(Electronic signature has been affixed)."  I do not have any special program.  Is there one out there?
Electronic signature
Where can I get information on electronic signatures and HIPAA compliance regarding this? Thanks!
You do not get any credit for the signature
line, patient demographics, carbon copy lines, etc. Some of this info may not take a lot of effort on your part, but it still will take a bit of input for which you will not be paid. These saves lines add up at the end of the day, thus saving the hospital tons of money. It makes you wonder what will be cut next to save a buck?
electronic signature software

I own a small home based medical transcription business and have been asked by prospective new clients about electronic signature capabilities.  Can anyone recommend a company or any advice regarding my document management needs.  I currently have physician offices set up digitally without any electronic signature capability at all.


Offering E-Signature to a Client



Does anyone know about offernig E-Signature to a client? Is there a way to do it easily, on your own -- I mean, instead of signing up with a big company like Vianeta or Bayscribe to handle all of the reports you type and want to send to a client.

Or... If that's the only way to go - through a big company - are there any big companies that are economical if you just have 1-2 doctor clients?  I know some of those companies charge like $5,000 as a set up fee.  Thank you.



 I mean, I'm sure you can do it

I think the on-line signature service
was something like 90 for me last year, can't remember exact amount, and he really helped me a lot.  The first couple of years, I went to an actual office too and got charged an arm and a leg and thought what's the deal, charged for every page and form they did and thought I can just plug the numbers that I gave her into those screens as well as she can.  They were charging more than my ex got charged at an accounting firm when we were married, and his business was WAY more complicated.  That's when I started doing my taxes myself using some system on-line.
Request that they place a stop payment on the check, reissue, and mail priority or overnight mail
If they refuse or invent unbelievable excuses, you'll know you have a problem. If MY check was a week late, there are many months I would be in deep trouble.
I realize checks occasionally do get lost in the mail. If they are 100% sure it was mailed, then they shouldn't mind issuing another.

Be firm and be persistent.
HA! Ignore the signature above - I forgot to change it !!!!

A signature is authorization that the info is correct.
Anyone who has signed a income tax return knows this. A doctor who does not read his report before signing is incompetent. If a report is signed, it is sending a message that it is correct.
one more ques nana: digital signature. ?how do you get it on there (sm)
On that first way you are describing --- are your docs able to SIGN OFF on the note digitally?
Preferences? Setting up NP with Doc signature block

Need to set up nurse practitioner dictator with Doc signature block, think I know how it should be set up but it's been awhile.  Any current examples or preferences of how anyone likes to do this?    Thanks. 

My friend who works for them is having her mail go to her own account. She hates this new mail prog
In every company I have worked for that pays via mail, they mail the checks on payday. sm
Depending on the distance you can get them anywhere from 3-8 days later. Right now one takes 3 days, the other 3-5.
Joyce CMT - e-mail karen - deleted your e-mail address nm
How long by mail did it take to get your IRS refund check after a mail out date was given when you c
Do you put "License xxxxx" on a SOAP note for signature title?

I am typing up a SOAP note template for a new PT.  He gave me his credentials, plus his "number," which is his license number for his signature title.  He did not say to put License in front of the number, but I think it looks funny without it. Has anyone ever done this before?  Is it appropriate to put the word "License" before the number?  He is away from the office, otherwise I would ask him myself.   

Thank you!  

My mail carrier just informed me that the mail is sorted by
prisoners as part of their work.  Now do you feel safer and more secure?  
Block her E-mail, return mail unopened

On AOL I can determine who I want to receive mail from and block those I do not  -- and if they are blocked  they get their E-mail back as being "undeliverable".  If she sends things out -- send back --unaccepted.  But to be simple just E-mail her back or call the recuriter if you don't want to deal with her directly and state -- leave me alone.  If she is in another state you should not be scared of her but you may simply have to put it out there in no uncertain terms.

Get a new lawyer! nm
Get a lawyer
In some states this is illegal and after you turn in your resignation or are fired there is a set number of days employers have to pay up last checks or go to court.  Check on this in your areas.  Call the Department of Employement in your state or hers and complain in writing.  If you all can find a lawyer who is a good person and truly wants to help you (my daugher found one like that and he even returned her check with a nice note that stated he enjoyed helping her and that was the only fee he needed as he had heard stuff for years about the company in question and was honored to help someone out against an employer without integrity -  I swear this is true, so look around you.  There are some really nice lawyers if you look).  If you all have to pay one maybe you could all chip in and file a class action suit.  Hold onto all equipment and refuse to release it to her until you are paid and hopefully you have computers, etc.  People like that do not deserve for us to work for them.  Everyone should stop typing immediately and get a real job.  Let her figure out how to get the work done in turn.  Maybe you could turn your friends on to her clients and they could offer their services at a discounted price.  I hope the witch goes to the poor house herself.  She is like a black eye on the transcription business.  Keep in touch and let us know how you are making out.   
You need a LAWYER ! - nm
go see a lawyer NOW sm

I wouldn't wait any longer.  When did you give her this ultimatum?  Today is Wednesday.  I would see a lawyer ASAP or call the police and file charges against her NOW.  IMO.  Like others said that's giving her time to file bankruptcy.  I doubt that she has $16,000.  Writing bad checks is a crime.  I live in Ohio and we just had an ex-football player convicted of writing a bad check for a car and that was just for $13,000.  

Did you get lawyer to do this?
Questions: Similar predicament. Did you go to small claims court?
Did you secure services of a lawyer? How did you do it? Good for you, you go girl!
No lawyer. sm
Did it myself, as they lived in my area. Court personnel were very helpful.
You might want to ask a lawyer about that - someone who specializes in business law. Many will talk to you for a half hour or so as part of their probono work. The definition of a business license is that you own and operate a business - if you are working IC then you are NOT an owner, you are working for someone just not as an employee of theirs. The phrasing gets confusing which is why I suggest you talk to a lawyer. You can probably stop spending all that money on licenses!

Someone else mentioned an IC license, my state does not require one but some do so the laywer can point that to you as well. Technically you are an employee, just like that person at wal-mart who is stocking the shelves - the difference is you don't pay taxes out of your check, you pay them in one lump at the end of the year. The IRS doesn't like to wait until the end of the year so they try to scare you into doing what they want - buy a business license and spend more money than you need to.

I'm not saying you are wrong, the laws may be different where you are, but I would make an appoitment with a lawyer and find out what the law says - it may be the best spent 30 minutes of your career :)
The class action against MQ by MTs should be about

forget about Ricca laws and tying it to hospitals and line counts.

They have lied and done smoke and mirrors to the point that there

probably could be a case made for that alone. 

And why do we never hear anything more about the SEC case?

And the FBI case against MQ for sending military information over

unsecured lines?

What happened to all that?


Legal action
First of all, my condolences to you and your wife. I feel for you. I lost an adult child 14 years ago. Among the many aspects of grief, the realities of your deceased child's legal affairs can be a nightmare. I am not a legal expert and I don't know if any legal changes have been made in the past years. At the time our son died he left behind a student loan for $13,000.00 and a personal loan for about $5,000.00. He was over the age of 21 when he signed for these loans. It was a nightmare for me and my husband. These creditors hounded us and threatened to get the money from us even though our son was 23 at the time of his death. One creditor even tainted our credit report because my son and his father had the same name. It was a complete nightmare for a couple of years. We sought legal advice, send copies of the death certificate to the creditors several times, and eventually things got straightened out. In your case you have an individual who claims money is owed to him. Did you daughter have a will? I assume she was still legally married. I would definitely seek legal advice. I doubt this individual can force you to pay on her debt if there indeed was one. However, you can stop the harassment by legal means. Seek legal counsel. The last thing you need is this aggravation. My thoughts and prayers are with you.
Class action...
I was involved in several of these suits - most of them with Medquist - and the biggest check I ever got was $3.61.
Miss all the action too. Not like it used to be.

Used to work for an old country GP. Had a guy stagger in with the tip of his finger hanging from a close encounter with a table saw. Blood everywhere. We gave him a roll of paper towels and went to fetch "the mop" out of the garage. It was 20 below out and the mop was frozen solid so we ran it under hot water in the kitchen sink and cleaned up the blood spills. No gloves. No worries.

Many stories from that place. My favorite was the patient in the waiting room with a paper bag full of baby chickens that he had to bring in because it was too hot in the car and he had to stop in on his way home for his weekly BP check.

Court action

I am not sure what your limit is for small claims court, it used to be $3500 here but know it has changed.   If it is more than one doctor in practice, you need to find out how they are listed through their business license, etc. through the state.  They helped me at the courthouse how to do this as it had to be listed exactly.  If you want to make a last ditch effort and make sure it isn't just the office manager that is not paying you, send a certified letter to each doctor that has to be signed by them and them only outlining what you will be doing and why.  You can act as your own collection agency instead of paying someone a commission to collect the money from you.   That is why I always keep on file a copy of their checking account number that they pay me on as I did sue once and we used it to collect the funds.  Also if the 7K is over the amount of small claims, then perhaps breaking out each individual doctor is under the amount.  But that is a pretty big amount and cannot believe that you let it go that high unless it is a large account and that is only one to two month's worth.  But again, try to get the correspondence directly to the docs as sometimes they do not know that the bill is going unpaid.   Good luck, let us know what happens.   Hopefully you are no longer providing service to this clinic.  Do some digging and get home address phone numbers if you are that gutsy and for that amount I would probably do it. 

Again, good luck.



Ask to see the software in action, if
possible. Ask if there is a spellchecker, and whether it checks medical terms. Oddly enough, the supervisor may be oblivious to the fact that the MT has to enter all the terms into just a standard English spellchecker, but at least ask the question. Ask if it is compatible with ShortHand or other program like that. Hopefully you will be allowed to talk to an MT who is using it. You want to see how efficient or backwards the software might be, and hear the sound quality. Do you get to make your own normals, or share them with another MT, so that you can't correct any errors you might find (but don't say that about errors out loud). Most radiologists are the opposite of psych dictators (from my experience). Radiology dictators tend to be fast and very efficient and need somebody who can give 100% accuracy. And if you can catch misspeaks and tactfully correct them or blank them, that will help. (But they are so smart that they are always shocked if they misspeak, so it has to be handled very carefully). Always think about where in the body you are and don't make anatomical errors for all of those sound-alike parts.
Take Further Action On Offshoring

Please, PLEASE people, especially all who left posts on the news story below, call the White House.  It is your right.  I do it all the time and I have not been abducted by the FBI yet.  They do not ask for your name or phone number or anything.  They usually are pretty decent to talk to. 

Tell them:  I AM CALLING CONCERNING THE OFFSHORING OF AMERICAN JOBS, ESPECIALLY OUR MEDICAL REPORTS LEAVING AMERICA WITH SENSITIVE INFORMATION ON THEM SUCH AS OUR NAMES AND SS# . Then take it from there.  Tell them that you MUST make your feelings be heard and you want the President to take action on this situation. 

As one person, I am only making a peep with my calls and emails, but if we all start calling and emailing in droves, we will make a roar.  Please, don't be afraid, we have to start taking action here folks.  Time will not wait.   

The White House Phone: 202-456-1111


The Capitol Switchboard:  202-224-3121

Obama and Biden:

Middle Class Task Force Questions:  Tell them to save jobs and stop all offshoring:
Your senator: Upper right hand corner, "find your senator"
Your congressperson: 

Let's do this together people

For your protection, I would definitely get a lawyer
especially if they're going to hire one.

You could forfeit your rights to the property if you don't respond properly and in a timely manner and in order to do that you need a professional to examine all the legal paperwork.

My neighbor went through a somehat similar situation with her house...but too long to go into here.
I agree with getting a lawyer...

...if those were indeed his words that they were letting you go because of "your age" that is BLATANTLY age discrimination.  I believe the last time I checked that was not legal.  Hey, maybe someday you would OWN THEM! 

re: lawyer woes
He can in fact charge you for the phone calls (consult) about the car, but not the service he failed to perform regarding this.

As far as the car title goes, he can request in the divorce that your husband sign it over to you (possibly arguing that you paid for it, etc.), but I don't think unless a judge orders it, your ex has to even sign it over, unfortunately. In my case, the car wasn't yet paid for and was in my husband's name. He suggested that we go and get the title/loan transferred into my name if this is what we agreed on. Technically speaking, however, the loan was in his name and if he so chose, he could have taken the car. That's why I say a judge has to be the one to order the transfer should the ex refuse.

I'd definitely confront the lawyer and ask him why the charges when he failed to even act on your request. That's bull**** in my opinion. I'm quite sure he's made a good deal of money off this already. Good luck.
Complaint? What about a lawyer?
But why do you need a sample of a complaint? Write a letter explaining the details and mail it to the administrators of the hospital and copy it to the same people at the headquarter address (CEO). Ask for a response and mail it certified with a receipt requested.
Does anyone know a good lawyer?
I am faced with my clients demanding I use the "AAMT" line count which is characters divided by 65. This cuts my income by 33% from my usual gross line. They came right out and said AAMT line. Even though AAMt has disavowed this, they put the seed in the minds of the powers that be and I want compensation from those who did me wrong. Please let me know if anyone knows of a good lawyer. TIA.
Actually, with a good lawyer one
that they are working for from home, whether employee or IC.  There is an option on your homeowner's insurance (? all companies or some) that would cover you for injury incurred while working at home.  They probably just want to eliminate the possibility of being sued.  You can't obtain workers comp insurance in the sense you're thinking though if you don't have employees to cover.  You can carry a personal policy that would eliminate their responsibility.  I've never run across it though when working IC.  I am covered though by my homeowners for such.
It was for a job, which requires me to ....sm
download ExpressScribe. I am trying to get this on there and it won't let me. To take the test, I have to have this ExpressScibe. So that is why I was trying to do it.
It is not a class action suit as of yet
It is not certified class action because MQ filed for the proceedings to be held in NJ with all the other law suits. Therefore, this is stalling the certification of the suit to class action. They have received numerous calls over the checks.

Of course they cannot offer legal advise as they are not representing all MQ MTs as of yet, it is still the original 3 that filed, but I don't think it would be wise to cash it. That is just me. I know there are those that will disagree and call me names, but thats my two cents.
Does the class action include the DEP
platform? Somewhere, don't remember where now, I thought I read the class action was about the old platform MedRite and was for a certain range of years. Is there info out there that the class action pertains to DEP also?
emails for action plan
and now they send out emails wanting to know our action plan for wkends, whether we are working, so they are cvd. no extra $$, just remind you to "get the lines while you can"
I was in a class action suit once & got $600