Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help Medquist New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Health Issues

Serving Over 20,000 US Medical Transcriptionists

Each state has different laws. Where I live, if I have clients in the same state I live in, yes I ne

Posted By: ICMT-23 years on 2006-03-31
In Reply to: Don't need a license if working out of own home...sm - Casey

have clients from another state, no I do not need a license. Every state is different. I checked with my attorney and the State Business offices.

Complete Discussion Below: marks the location of current message within thread

The messages you are viewing are archived/old.
To view latest messages and participate in discussions, select the boards given in left menu

Other related messages found in our database

It all depends on what state you live in and what their laws and requirements are. Check with your
What state do you live in?
Here in Texas, all they ever do is talk about it, never do it.
What state do you live in?
what state do u live in?
and the clerks sort the mail. i've never heard of that before. maybe its different in the larger states?
don't know what state U live in....nm

Did you ever say which state you live in?
You are making remarks that a breast exam required for driver's license and yet you have not stated which state. Something screwy here.
Congratulations!! What state do you live in?
Sounds like a great job
I wonder if the state where you live offers
In Georgia they do have this, and a person who is convicted of a felony and completes the sentence requirements then has their rights restored, such as voting and the ability to officially answer "No" when asked about a felony conviction. Supposedly the information would not be available to a potential employer and most others, though I believe some are still privy to the information.
It depends on the state. In NC where I live,
you must be legally separated for a year before you can get a divorce. The legal separation is treated like a divorce though, so anything accrued by either party after the separation papers are signed are not considered marital property. I think she may want to obtain a second opinion just to be on the safe side.
I live in Washington state up in

the Cascade mountains. 

The only AC I have on is a small wall unit in my office when I type, but don't really need it very much.  Everybody wants to move up here.  Yikes, housing prices going up because of that.  I have a 1650 square foot house, 4 bedrooms, not too big, not too small.  Just hubby, 2 dogs and myself.  No water bill because we are on our own well.  No sewer bill because we are on a septic.  Use propane for the water heater and heat in the winter, about $500 bucks gives me half a tank, but that lasts us almost a whole year.   We don't use the central heat very much in the winter, just wall units.  Also, thinking of putting in a wood stove for heat.

what state you live in Pammie? Sometimes sm
things need to be worded differently depending on the laws of your state.
where do you live jason (state is fine)
Live in big city, 2+ million, with state pen and fed pen
as well as county jails located here.
I live approx. 25 min. from a state capital (rather not say), but seems everywhere you go - sm
around my area whether it be a Subway chain restaurant, small corner convenient store, etc., these are all being run by foreigners (mainly Indian). I really do not want to come across discriminatory, but I know man U.S. born citizens who cannot get the financial backing to start a business. Why shouldn't we come first?
NO - common sense does not dictate that, the STATE in which you live does!
In my state, NO I do not have to have a business license unless I have clients in my state, which I do not. So, therefore, I do not have to have a license! I have checked with my attorney, my state office, and my State Representative to be sure I was receiving the correct answers and all said the same thing!

So, my advice to anyone asking is contact your State office.
what state does she live in? Was she prosecuted and sent to prison or just held in jail?
I live in Washington state and the health department posted it on the internet.
Here is the link to the information for this state, but every state probably has the same thing.

I think all state labor laws are pretty much in line with the federal laws as far as PTO SM

among other things.  Basically, federal law states that an employer is not required to offer paid time off or paid holidays.  An employer doesn't have to pay you for time not worked.  It states quite clearly that PTO is an agreement between the employer and employee upon hire.  So, if you have an agreement with your employer stating you accrue PTO and get certain Holidays off with pay, then upon termination or resignation, you are entitled to any unused time you have accrued.  However, since not mandated by any state or federal laws, if an employer refuses to pay you for any unused PTO, you will have to take legal action, likely in small claims court.  You will probably eventually win, but you have to decide is it worth all the trouble and legal fees?

When you actually get right down to it, labor laws really don't do much for the working class.  We are not guaranteed anything except minimum wage and a safe work environment.

also, check out the laws in your state (sm)

regarding how the landlord should handle your deposit during the time you rented from them.  In my state, it must be kept in an escrow account, and the landlord must show proof of this.  Also, landlords are liable for lots of routine maintenance on the house/apartment while it is rented.  For example, landlords are responsible for painting, replacing miniblinds, cleaning carpets, etc every four years, in the state of Georgia.

Go online and check it out...you could get your money back, plus some! Good Luck!

It also depends on what your state laws say as well. sm
In Texas, they have to pay you for your PTO time.
not sure what state you are in but there are some good new stalking laws...
you should get yourself a lawyer. this man is stalking you and can possibly become violent.

most lawyers give you a free consultation the first time so you can see if there is anything that can be done.

since you had the extramarital affair in the first play, no offense, but you just may like living on the edge. if you are seriously worried, take it to the proper authorities and do whatever it takes to stop this man.
Each state has different divorce and family laws; however, sm
ex-hubby is not entitled to anything after the date the divorce was filed. So, if she filed for divorce on January 1 and hit the lottery on January 2, he gets nothing!

At least that is how it is in PA. Don't know about other states.
Must check your state labor laws
This is what most of them follow is whatever state you live in. I live in a state where you have to get 40 hrs before you can hit OT. No OT for more than an 8-hour day.

But of course, I also live in a state that has $1.95 as its minimum wage still!
Two diff topics. OT laws state 40 hours in most states req'd
It depends on whether you are working for someone as an IC or you have your own clients. I live in
Hampton Roads and was told that I would need a one if I was going to solicit my own business.  I was told by the local office where I got my license that I could not send out brochures or advertise in any way until I got it.  I do know of a local company here that requires their ICs to have one as well.  I think it is because he had a problem with an IC who did not report her income to the IRS and he was audited because of this.  I am not sure how this protects him, but he requires all of his ICs to have their own business licenses.
Work for a company in a state that has no state income tax
I think there are 3 or 4 out there (Florida, Texas, and a few others.)  Then you really avoid the tax situation. 
why no, i don't live in snobville. did you think you knew me? i live in heritage hills a suburb
it takes a little longer to get to work and shopping but thank god i have some privacy and am away from the congestion.  lovely trees and lakes all around.  maybe about 20 minutes to a large shopping mall.  but no, i don't even know where snobville is.
why yes the quality of air where i live is quite different than where the city people live.
Lots of pollution.  That's why everyone is moving away from the city and areas zoned for multiple housing units and low income housing and trailer parks.  Population is dense and near manufacturing.  So yes, the air is different but millions of people pay a little extra for the quality, the space and privacy afforded to those who move out of polluted crowded areas such as you defend.  There is always a reason why some areas and housing is cheaper than others.  Maybe it is the air and maybe it's something you can't quite put your finger on but you know you would prefer not to live in certain areas.  You know what I mean or are you living in one of those areas?  They tell after awhile you block out the sounds, the smells and get used to the pollution.  I don't know.  I didn't stay long enough to test the theory.  My mental and physical health is way too important to me. 
I know they live a long time, so if there is a chance they will out live you - sm
make sure you make provisions for them in your will. I have only had cockatiels and some finches, so don't really know anything about the bigger birds. I love African Grey's but they are very expensive.
Name a state and put every company in that state under suspicion.

Tell what the first letter of the company is and every company with that initial will be suspect.  I would imagine that everyone who works for that company has received an inquiry from department of labor, so they would all be aware of it. 

Why do we persist in setting up companies to be torn down when there is no reason for it.  If a company is suspect, then give the name of the company, don't give big hints that cover at least 5 companies, 4 of which may be the best companies to work for, but fall into the category of an alphabetical letter, etc. 




Contact your local BBB in your state and in their state if different from yours.
Not mandatory, as you state it depends on your state - sm
or county. Where I am I do not need it; though if I was cutting grass or landscaping I would where I live, makes no sense to me as I am providing a service, but very happy I don't have to have one. We pay personal property tax here and I would have to list all my business related equipment and pay taxes on it every year I was in business. So until I am told otherwise by my county, I will not be getting a business license.
Live and let live. Don't force your lifestyle on me.
I used to live in MN now I live in MS and they were both cold last night!
Will take MS cold over MN cold any day, and I don't miss the snow. I miss the Mall of America, though!
I live in PA, can I help? If they are close to where I live, I would go check them out for ya!
Where in PA is this company?
varies from state to state...nm
deluded are ye? state by state..sm




Some people just CHOOSE to live in DE NILE (DENIAL) and we all see you are ONE OF THOSE.

Some of us CHOOSE to go through life as a REALISTS! 




Things are different from state to state, but I think
you probably could, if you are actually "laid off."  You would have to get a letter from your surgeon regarding your temporary disability status and take to the unemployment office and to Medicaid....but you know how Medicaid works, 1.5 pennies over the income limit, you don't get it.  But, as I stated, laws differ from state to state, so you would have to inquire or go on their websites and see what they will approve and what they will not.
If not in your state, try filing in THEIR state. Then they
You must live where I live. I ran into the same sort of SM
situation when I was the president-elect of the local chapter and the VP-elect of the state chapter. I bailed out. There was no fighting it.
LOL! Don't live in NH. Live in ConnectiTAX. LOL NM
Can you live on 7.75 cpl or do you need 9.5 cpl. If I could live at the lower, that is what I
what state are you in. May be able to tell you nm

Again, I must state...

Why does any state take them in

"we have enough losers of their kind here already, i'm pissed"

WHY? Because your have competition???? As they say, it takes one to know one. 

Your just a very sad case if you ask me & probably would be the first to demand it all if it were you

Can you tell us what state they are in?
or the first letter of their name? TIA
state -


Did not want to state her as there are men who are MTs also.
What state are you in? Maybe we can help.

you state....
"serving his country" Our military over in Iraq is NOT serving the USA, sorry to speak. I support our soldiers and have several friends and my brother over there serving. But, I am not in support of the war itself or our president who put us there.

In reply to some of the other posts.......I also have friends who got a good education paid for due to their service in the military, so yes it is a reason for many to enlist. I would not encourage my own child to enlist, mostly due to fear that he or she would need to go to war one day and my love for them far outweighs my love for my country. And, I personally don't feel that war is the path God leads us in.....
All the ads do not state exactly what they want....sm
a lot of them do state looking for IC status but most certainly do want to dictate times working and weekends, been there and needless to say refused !!