Home     Contact Us    
Main Board Job Seeker's Board Job Wanted Board Resume Bank Company Board Word Help Medquist New MTs Classifieds Offshore Concerns VR/Speech Recognition Tech Help Coding/Medical Billing
Gab Board Politics Comedy Stop Health Issues

Serving Over 20,000 US Medical Transcriptionists

I never received 1099 forms when I

Posted By: Backwards typist on 2009-02-06
In Reply to: what gives on 1099-MISC form? - MDmt

was an IC. I worked for a hospital for almost 10 years plus had other docs and an attorney. The attorney did give me one every year and it never conformed to my figures but I never had a problem.

Complete Discussion Below: marks the location of current message within thread

The messages you are viewing are archived/old.
To view latest messages and participate in discussions, select the boards given in left menu

Other related messages found in our database

1099 tax forms

Does anyone out there who is an IC know of the deadline date for the 1099 forms to be sent out via "employer"?  As a special input, I did some research on what deciphers an employer-employee versus employer-independent contractor.  In summay there were 20 points made and I fit all criteria of being an "employee" instead of classified as "independent contractor" per the IRS.  I am considering filing the "SS-8" form with the IRS, which is a form for the IRS to give their input on the employer-independent contractor issue to determine how I really should be classified.  The way I see it, my employer refers to me as an IC because it simply benefits her, and on the otherhand, it does nothing for me except harm.  I am making 9 cents a line, cut back from 10 cents a line a few couple months ago, and have am offered no benefits whatsoever.  This happens to be one main point that the IRS displays as I would really be classifed an employee as my employer has control of my pay.  Just thought this was an interesting fact to point out to all as it is something I was not aware of until today upon doing self investigation into it.

1099 ? Is the amount on the 1099 only the money paid to you in 2008. So if I did not receieve payme
than that $$ would be on my 1099 for 2009 not 2008??  I have to invoices that were due to be paid in 2008 but I never received the $$ until January of 2009.  Do I have to claim that money on my taxes this year or next???  Thanks in advance for your help.   
Long short forms vs short short forms


A long short form is usually easier to remember. So I would definitely assign the short forms as suggested by Kelli:

In most Expander programs you would opt for a short short form as you have to type the whole short form before you can expand.
In Instant Text you don't have to type the whole short form: you type the first two letters of your long short form and then you can type any of the following letters.
So in this case you would type smcth for the first one, smcta, and you may also type smhead, smabd

This is possible when you use the Instant Text marker key to expand. If you use the space bar to expand, you may be better off assigning the initials as suggested in the second response, as you would not be able to "jump ahead".


Tax forms
This is the first year I have worked as an independent contractor. Do I use Schedule C, profit or loss from business form, Form 8829 and Schedule SE (self-employment tax form) to file? Form 8829 goes into detail about depreciating house, mortgage, etc. and in the past I eliminated that because if you take this off when you sell you have to factor this depreciation amount back in. Of course, in the past I worked as an employee and filled out the other form, employee business expenses.  I hate to pay for a CPA for no more than I worked but maybe I should?
Tax forms

This is not about that form per se, but you might want to consider filing a form 4868 "Application for automatic extension of time to file"  This can be sent any time before April 15 and gives you some more months to get your return ready.  If you owe money, it still has to go in, but at least you won't be one of those folks you see on TV lining up at the Post Office at midnight. 

Good luck.

Transcription from Forms
I do the exact same thing transcribing from forms.  You cannot read into these too much.  They are probably already using the forms they filled out as their report, but having you transcribe to make them "look pretty".  No one is perfect.  If the money is right, I would overlook the inadequacies, and of course you should fix dramatic errors, as you would if you listened.  I am not trying to be unkind, but it works both ways.  Sometimes as transcriptions, we inadvertantly type an incorrect spelling, and the dictators don't give up on us, or do they??????  Something to ponder.  Good luck to you!!!  I hope you can find a happy medium in this matter and not lose what sounds like an "easy" account.  However, the reports I transcribe are not from a nurse, they are from PA-C or the physician himself.  I do, however, have a question for you, if you don't mind.  What do you charge, per line, per page, etc?  I charge per page and make out pretty darn good since everything is so canned text!!!!    Take care... 
the line forms here....
i will require 12 cents a line or at least $23/hr. lol i want paid vacations and sick days, i want free coffee and my DSL paid for and i want profit sharing... :)
abuse comes in many forms


This truly is abuse.  You may not have visable body scars but mental abuse is just as bad if not worse as physical abuse.  I'm not sure there is help for your husband but you need to get out of this relationship for your own sanity.  A tiger never changes his stripes.   I had been in relationship that had the same elements.  I worked all day and would teach a class at night and we were to dress in a professional manner and I would be accused of having an affair.  (Huh, like you have the time and energy.)  I had the courage to get out and have now married a man who respects me and treats me as an equal partner.  Is that not what a true marriage is, a partnership.   If you do not have family to help check with you local Women's Help Center possible that could be a start.   I wish you the best and hope you have the strength to more forward and leave him in the dust.


filling downloaded IRS forms
Okay, I'm supposed to be able to fill in the 1099-Misc form I just downloaded but for some reason I can't add any information.  Am I missing a plug-in or something?>
Short forms for AXIS I-V

You can edit your short forms in the Glossary Viewer and have them come up according to the short forms you have chosen:

ax => AXIS I

ax2 => AXIS II



Stock proposal forms
Does anyone have a "stock" proposal form they use to bid on transcription work? Thanks.
There are various forms of back supports
you can purchase for your chair, or check with your physician for chair types.
EHR can encompass many forms of dictation....
not just point and click. I know several people who have lost their jobs to "EHR," and it had nothing to do w/point and click. It WILL eventually affect us all; however, the timeframe will be on an individual institutional basis as the cost to convert to the system is quite extraordinary.
naming your short forms
Productivity Talk has a forum dedicated to command entries in Instant Text. Google their name for the link.
If you haven't signed non-compete forms...
with a company you are employed by now, and you leave the company, is it acceptable (legal) to contact a client of theirs and offer your IC services if you really want that account as your own?  Any suggestions from anyone having ever done this before would be much appreciated.
I used a Selectric for my first job and on the subject of whiteout, we used forms that were three
different colors, so each time you made an error, you had to white out on your carbons with all of the matching colors and this doc hated errors and would point out that you had to use the whiteout.  Glad those days are over!
Transcription Contract forms or ideas.....

Can anyone refer me to a site that has contract forms for transcriptionists or what do others of you have?  I have one sample, but there are quite a bit of things on it that don't really pertain to the services I am giving.  How do you come up with your own and what should be put in a contract?  Thanks for all of your help and suggestions.


You can change tax forms to have extra taxes

come out of your husband's check.  You can figure out how much tax based on $900/mo.  If you have too little taken out you'll have a penalty (around $50) and then you can adjust the next year if you need to.  I had taxes taken out of my husband's check, but didn't figure enough and I got hit with the penalty and I just adjusted the next year.  I am an employee now so don't have to worry about it this year and have adjusted tax withholdings so we have more $$ in our pocket.

You can find a used C-phone for $125 if you are lucky, but more around $200-$300 range.  There is a classified board here, you can also check E-bay.  If you need a food pedal only and not the software you can find a used one for $25 if you're luck to about $50.  You can new for about $80.  

A lot of times a company will send you the foot pedal if required, but not always.  Sometimes they will rent you a C-phone, but not always.  I wouldn't buy anything until you have a job.

As far as working to only gross $900/mo you can guestimate how many lines you can do based on xx line rate and monitor it so you don't go over.  I would guestimate higher to give yourself a little room.

Just be upfront with companies that you can only do so much so they know they can't expect you to work extra if things are backlogged. 


How do you fill out forms in Adobe Reader 8.
I am referring an MT to a company I work for and to get the referral bonus I have to fill out this form in Adobe Reader and E-mail it to HR.  Well, I don't know how to do that.  One friend said to copy it in Word and fill it out that way.  It won't let me do that. 
Stedman's on 3 forms crepitant, crepitus, crepitation
1. Relating to or characterized by crepitation.
2. Denoting a fine bubbling noise (rale) ...
3. The sensation imparted to the palpating finger by gas or air ...

1. SYN crepitation.
2. A noisy discharge of gas from intestine.
ex: articular c., the grating of a joint
ex: bony c., SYN crepitation (2)

Stedman's Illustrated, 26th edition
1. Crackling; the quality of a fine bubbling sound (rale) ...
2. The sensation felt on placing the hand over the seat of a fracture ...
3. Noise or vibration produced by rubbing bone or irregular cartilage ...
there is delay due to delayed minimum tax vote on certain forms
The five forms affected by the delay are:

Form 8863, Education Credits.
Form 5695, Residential Energy Credits.
Form 1040A's Schedule 2, Child and Dependent Care Expenses for Form 1040A Filers.
Form 8396, Mortgage Interest Credit and
Form 8859, District of Columbia First-Time Homebuyer Credit.

I avoid numbers in my short forms and use letters
instead when needed. What I do most often is double-key a short form (same two letters) that goes back and adds slashes or dashes for dates and decimals. It's easier for me to key the numbers, then let a command entry edit when needed. You might want to go to Productivity Talk for a lot of great tips on learning IT.

1099 -- you can buy

You can buy them at Staples or Office Depot.  They might come with Turbo Tax also -- not 100% sure.  But I just bought them.  You need her social security number.



www.fileyourtaxes.com Key in information and you print out your copies, and they electronically file the forms to IRS/SS
need 1099
I have been trying to get in touch with someone that I worked for last year who still owes me a little bit of money and a 1099 form. I've emailed her 7 times, (none of which have been bounced back so she must be getting them), left 1 voice message, and sent 1 fax. She won't pick up the phone and she won't answer my email. By law I have to report this income, but what to do w/o the 1099? Thanks very much.
would that be a 1099
would that be a 1099?
Are you 100% 1099 tax forms are suppose to be postmarked by midnight 01/31st?  I did telephone Alltax tax service and was informed 1099 has until 02-15, although my "employer" stated to me prior to telephoning Alltax that the deadline is 02/28?  I looked on internet to find my answer to no avail.
I have a question, why would a company not want to send a person a 1099 form?  Is the company trying to hide something from the IRS, or what?
Yes, I realize it is simply a statement of my earnings, and in my case it is one I need in order to file my taxes to receive money back...no tax preparer is willing to file my taxes without it.
Not sure how you can get out of getting a 1099
or why you would even want to.... that is just a report of income from them to  you - for legal reasons they have to comply as do you - how will they report monies paid to you if you are incorporated?  Possibly you want to look at yourself really as a company - such as a painting company - and not look at what you receive as income at all - just money coming in on individual jobs?  Then I have no idea how this is done - obviously can be done but have no idea how.
Thanks for responses. Read a few posts up that if income was under such an amount they may/do not send one. I fit in that category. It wasn’t much and they kept half because I did not give a two week notice. I will ask my tax guy about it.
Doesn't it give you the option of printing all the forms and schedules?
I have to disagree. Most hospitals have migrated to EMR & RNs are able to fill in online forms
My husband is an RN at an acute care facility and he loves his job.  He has dual majors.  One in computer science and the other in Nursing.  He decided he didn't want to sit behind a desk plinking on a computer all day and really wanted to do something with his life that would help people.  Being an RN is not just about the money, it is about caring for those in need.  Seriously, think about the reasons you would be entering the nursing field.  If it's just about money, you'll be disappointed.  However, if you are the type of person who likes caring for others, then by all means, go for it.  All the best!
Instant Text creates entries and the short forms from
previously saved documents. You run a compile on the reports and it picks up the most frequent words and phrases. Go to their site and click on the overview link to see how it works.
1099 does not apply to SE
Will show you my 1099's

I do make this much.  Even when married I always made more than my husband at a "real job" as he called it.  I did a little more myself this year to pay off those divorce legal bills but I did it.  On account I average 12,000 to 13,000 gross lines per month, another is 15,000 to 17,000 then I have two little accounts and one psych that I subcontract out which between them average another 8,000 lines.   The accounts that I personally type do take me about 22 to 24 hours per week and I put in 15 to 18 hours at a clinic doing EMR's as an employee.  I have a lot of write-off's and pay minimal taxes.l contributing about $700 - 850 a month to my retirement.  I have been doing these docs for 6 years.  Two are surgical oncologists and so I have a lot of consults/letters templates.   If a hernia patient came in I think I could do the consult just by looking at the chart.   I charge 11 cpl gross lines and have not raised my prices in two years but thinking about it.    I do put in 4 long days, 10 hours and then Friday is short  4 hours and Sunday is about 2.   But I have no problem showing my 1099's, it can be done you just have to find your niche.  And I know I am different than working for a national but 20 years ago I took the initiative to develop my own business, took a lot of blood, sweat and tears but the past 10 years I cannot complain.   My docs do treat me well as I have often stated.  But I just don't want anyone to think I have not paid my dues as I have and am truly honest in reporting my figures.  

I am an IC and received 2 1099-MISC from the companies I work for, but the amounts were off by $2000 each.  Has this ever happened to anyone else?
1099 clarification
The person who paid you, need to have the 1099 post marked no later than 01/31.  The person who paid you needs to supply copies of the 1099s to the IRS no later than 02/28.  Do no confuse these dates.  If you utilized (mind you not employed) ICs, then you too need to have their portion fo the 1099s post marked by 01/31 and the portion that is to be filed with the IRS by02/28. 
Duplicate 1099
It would be the same as if your hospital was owned by a larger corporation and it had the corporation's name on it.  However if they said that they are reissuing one then the second one should have "corrected" on it -- if they have sent it into the IRS already.  Keep copies of your invoices that you billed to the company if there is a question later on showing what you billed to what company.  Also when you receive you second 1099 see if the Federal ID number is the same.  Good luck. 
missing 1099 - what to do??
Ok, it's now near the end of February and I'm still missing a 1099! I've notified the company, but they just said it was sent out and weren't any help. The amount was over $10,000, so I obviously need to report it. How do I go about reporting it without a 1099? Do I need to report the company to the IRS? Anyone out there with their own service, what do you do when someone doesn't receive their 1099? Can you just send them a copy or do you have to completey re-do it? I remember reading something about the form having some barcode or something in it so the IRS can scan it, so does this mean you can't just send a copy?? Thanks for any help!
Report it yourself regardless of a 1099...
no 1099 from MTSO
you can see a small business tax man and he can file a complaint.. you must add all your invoices yourself and claim that amount.  That MTSO will get into a lot of trouble, and your tax man can notify the IRS.
At the end of the year did you get a 1099 or a W2

By law an employer has to send one out each year depending on your status.  If they did not the fault lies with them.  However if you got a 1099 where it clearly stated that you received "non employee compensation" you are considered self employed by the IRS.  If you received a W2 then you were an employee.  I am confused...how could not know what status you were based on that alone???? Did you work "Under the table" where they did not send either a W2 or a 1099 each year?

They might not be reporting it on a 1099

Do they have your SSN, they might not be reporting it on a 1099 to IRS and so you have a choice to report it or not, I guess.  How much was it?  I have a couple of small accounts that do not send me a 1099 but I do report the income through my business, just add it into the total.  A 1099 is not necessary to file your taxes if you are an IC.  Not all plumbers or electricians get 1099's when they do contract work. 

RE: You will not receive a 1099 if
you made less then $600, but the IRS will receive a copy of your earnings regardless. You have to claim all of your income no matter what the amount. Of course, if you made under $600, most likely the tax will be minimal if any.
Contact the IRS regarding the 1099

Bidding on new account - states that they will provide specialized forms such as letterhead, *sm*
progress notes, operative forms or other such printed documents.  The accounts that I have previously worked on did not have "printed" forms for progress notes or ops.  What are they talking about here?  If there is such a thing as a preprinted form, then how do you do the account long distance - I am not near them?  Could the forms be scanned or made up in a template which could save them money by not having to buy them?  Years ago I worked as a legal secretary and we had forms that we made up and filled in on our computer rather than with a typewriter. 
1099-MISC is what you issue to her (sm)
Also, you cannot download a copy of the form you need to file. You have to use the IRS form because 1099s are OCR'd into the system so the paper has to be the exact correct size. You'll likely have to call and order the forms unless you have an IRS office near you.
1099's info from IRS - dates etc.

I am doing a 1099 C to my ex-husband and I have received my four from my accounts and so here are the instructions regarding them from the IRS forms sitting in front of me -- Both as a recepient and as a reporter

DUE DATES:  Furnish Copy B of this form to the recipent by January 31, 2007.  File copy to the IRS by Februuary 28th.  I have to file my "Intent to File a 1099 by Februaru 15th".

On the back of my 1099 (Misc Income) received from my accounts it states "If your net income from self employmnt is $400 or more, you must file a return and compute you SE on Schedule SE (Form 1040) -- this is social security.  

It does not say from all 1099's but simply on the back of this one.  Now if someone files a 1099 with under 400 on it and others are filed with higher amounts, the IRS might wonder but I doubt that they would audit for 400 as that does not increase your tax and is only 60 SS.  Not worth their time.  But if you were to get several of these they might. 

Now some will not send you a 1099.  Plumbers, electricians, painters etc. that work on houses as sub-contracters do not get 1099's from their contractors.   I have several neighbors/friends who have small business and use manual labor and do not provide 1099's.   Then you have to decide whether or not it is worth including in case you get audited and how honest you wish to be. 

As for the employee vs IC or subcontractor - would you get anymore benefits as an employee - perhaps the 0.75 SS that they pay but they would take that out of your pay so you are not ahead.  As for having to set hours, when I was offered that before I decided stay and forge forward with my own accounts - I simply said "No thank you".  But I understand where they are coming from after having my own small 5 accounts.  I do give my gals some leeway but I do need the work back in a certain amount of hours and I prefer that they work when they are rested, not rushed, have no interruptions or squeezing me in between basketball or soccer as it certainly shows in their work.  It is hard keeping an even flow as I have no control of when docs are off or work is light or when suddenly someone decides  not to work. In the 18 years I have been doing this the hardest part is keeping a regular flow of work going to keep everyone happy.   As unemployement goes up, we go down.  But anyway just thought I would let you know what the 1099's say. 

1099's - just report your income
IRS cannot scan 1099's they have to be hand entered.  All you need to do is to report your income.  You do not attach a copy of the 1099 so it is not like a W2 form.  Just report it and file.  I have one psychiatrist that never gives me a 1099 for the past 10 years and all I do is report it and file and have never had a problem. 
ZyloMed 1099 form

Ex-ZyloMed IC wondering if there are others out there that still have not received their 1099 form in the mail.  Wondering if mine got lost in the shuffle somewhere.